Relationships and Sex Education
As part of your child’s education at Hawthorns School we aim to promote personal wellbeing and development through a comprehensive programme of Personal, Social, Health and Economic education (PSHE) that gives children the knowledge, understanding, attitudes and practical skills to live healthy, safe, productive and fulfilled lives both now and in the future.
The Department for Education has announced changes to the Relationships and Sex education (RSE) curriculum to ensure it is appropriate for children in the modern world. These changes have been delayed due to Covid-19 and come into effect from the Summer Term 2021. All schools are required to comply with the updated requirements.
The guidance focuses on healthy relationships and keeping children safe in the modern world. It also covers a range of topics relating to physical and mental health, wellbeing, safeguarding and healthy relationships. From Summer 2021 the RSE and Health Education curriculum will be statutory and part of our curriculum.
Our RSE curriculum and policy has been reviewed by staff and parents so we can be sure our provision is appropriate for our pupils based on their:
- Physical and emotional maturity
- Religious and cultural backgrounds
- Special educational needs and/or disabilities
The Consultation Questions were as follows:
- How confident do you feel that this curriculum will help keep your child safe?
- How easy is the policy to understand? Is there anything we can make clearer?
- Are there any topics we aren’t covering in our RSE curriculum that you think we should be?
- Are there any topics we are covering in our RSE curriculum that you think we shouldn’t be?
- Any further comments?
Please see below for Parent response to the consultation.
We have adjusted our policy and curriculum based on this feedback and the policy and curriculum guidelines will be statutory from Summer 2021. Further information can be found below:Hawthorns Relationships and Sex Education PolicyLetter to Parents RSE Consultation Response letter