At Hawthorns, we are continually reviewing and adapting our curriculum to meet the complex needs of our children.
Our curriculum approaches take into account:
- A pupil’s chronological age: ensuring they are accessing age appropriate materials.
- A pupil’s developmental age: ensuring the content is differentiated to an appropriate cognitive level.
- Preferred learning styles and individual personalities: affecting how the learning opportunities are structured and delivered.
- Condition and diagnosis: affecting the delivery and structure of the learning and the appropriate curriculum.
- Communication needs: ensuring personalised communication systems and approaches.
- Behavioural needs: affecting levels of support and the structure of the day and the development of Behaviours for Learning.
- Environmental Factors: such as heat, light, noise and transitions which affect learning for some children.
- Physical, medical, sensory needs: affecting how individuals access the curriculum.
Our curriculum approaches provide our children with:
- Creative, fun, engaging and challenging learning experiences
- A variety of approaches that take into account preferred learning styles
- High quality teaching and learning which is monitored on a regular basis
- The use of ICT to support access to the curriculum
We provide an extended curriculum:
Curriculum Cycle Year 1
Curriculum Cycle Year 2